The first meetinghouse at Plumstead was a log building erected in 1750 when 15 acres of land was donated to Buckingham Friends Meeting. The original log building was replaced by a stone meetinghouse in 1752. A walled burial ground was established.
In 1824, Plumstead Meeting was approved by Buckingham to become a Monthly Meeting. However, Bucks Quarterly Meeting did not approve and Plumstead Meeting was discontinued in 1869.
Almost 100 years later, Friends from Doylestown Meeting asked to worship at Plumstead on Christmas Eve, and then for a month each summer, as well as for several weddings each year. In 1988, Bucks Quarterly Meeting recognized the Plumstead Worship Group. On May 20, 2003, Plumstead was approved as a Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.
Despite the passage of time, Plumstead Friends Meeting has retained much of its simplicity. The meetinghouse is still heated in the winter by a wood stove, and cooled in the summer by the morning breeze. As a small meeting, this helps us keep a very light carbon footprint among meetings in the Quarter.
And yes, despite our pacifist beliefs, the meetinghouse property has some connection to the American Revolution.